Thursday 21 February 2008

21 February

Questions to Arline Rasoatahiana

"Hurricane Ivan has completely annihilated us"

An employee of a free zone of disaster Anosimahavelona tells its setbacks.
 
• How did you feel the tragedy of the failure of the dam of Anosimahavelona?

-- We were all surprised. Fortunately, the factory where I worked closed its doors for some time because of the rising waters, otherwise I would have lost everything. We had to follow the evacuation, and take the little that we have been able to pick up boarding a canoe.

• Have you not anticipated that the situation could worsen?

-- Chief Fokontany and municipal officials have already requested to leave the premises a day before. But I never imagined like other residents that the water level would also rise sharply. This took us off guard. Fortunately, relief arrived on time.

• How relief is organized?

-- The availability of canoes has helped disaster victims to leave the scene very quickly. We were able to be evacuated in time and avoid the worst disasters. Nevertheless, we have been affected by this flood. It is the worst I have ever known.

• What will you do in the coming days?

-- We very much hope that the municipality of Anosizato we allocates a corner reassuring and safe shelter to accommodate us in the coming days. Hurricane Ivan has destroyed. I come from Fianarantsoa and I rented a house in Ar 25000. In addition, I support my sister and my brother. The next few days will be hard for us three.

• Why did you choose to live in this area prone to flooding?

-- I chose the district Anosimahavelona for economic reasons. As I work in a factory near frank, it eases our spending Taxi fares-be. This allows me to save Ar 600 per day.

• What solution would you recommend for this kind of disaster?

The filling of the dam up to a certain height is a solution awaited.

No comments: